Ski Biomechanics Camp
Take your skiing to the next level through body awareness
3-DAY SKI BIOMECHANICS CAMP
January 13 - 16, 2017
Call 970-728-7402 for registration.
Dr. Kim Hewson, Orthopedic Surgeon, former Director of Sports Medicine at University of Arizona, and a lead Telluride Ski School Instructor, has refined a scientific-based biomechanics approach to ski instruction that has been used internally at the Telluride Ski School for the past 10 years to improve the quality of ski school instruction. This innovative biomechanics approach is now available to the public through the Ski Biomechanics Camp.
Nature has designed our body to move efficiently. Learn how to apply that concept to your skiing. The 3-day camp uses Dr. Hewson’s innovative approach, including video analysis, in-classroom learning, and on-snow application all focused on efficient skiing using our natural functional alignment.
The Telluride Ski School is the first ski school to create a biomechanics camp available to anyone wanting to improve their skiing ability. Open to intermediate to advanced skiers, participants ski in small ability matched groups with a maximum of four students per instructor. Classes will be structured toward maximum safety for all participants. Couples are welcome to ski together but teaching techniques will be focused toward the less experienced skier.
The Camp is based out of the Madeline Hotel and Residences in the Mountain Village where our classroom sessions and lunches will be held. The Madeline is an excellent 4 Diamond venue, ski-in ski-out, providing special lodging rates for our participants.
Students benefit from the following:
- Ten year ski instructor training program available to the public
- Innovative biomechanical approach to alpine skiing
- Easier skiing through less effort enjoyed in a unique learning experience
- Experience the value of continuity of instruction over 3 days
- Learn "how the body works" using natural functional alignment
- Discover how to "stack" your bones so that your muscles do less work
- Pre and post Camp personal video analysis
- Come away with special technical knowledge, improved skills and training exercises to check performance after leaving us
On-Snow Training Topics
- Basic parallel turns, initial personal video analysis
- Foot and ankle skills - refine ski edge control and improve turning skills
- Independent leg actions - outside leg rotation, inside leg steering, long leg-short leg
- Upper-lower body separation - "Zone of Separation": inclination, angulation, counter
- Compare skill blend demands in varied snow conditions and terrain
- PUT IT ALL TOGETHER - dynamic parallel turns, final personal video analysis
Classroom Training Topics
- Skeletal analysis - skeletal anatomy, stance, balance, stacking
- Foot and ankle mechanics - “it all starts in the feet”
- Boot structure and alignment - effect on foot/ankle mechanics and stance
- Hip and knee mechanics
- Upper-lower body separation
- Skill blending in varied snow conditions/terrain - steering, tipping, pressure control
Ski Camp Sample Schedule
5:30pm at Hotel Madeline
Meet and Greet: Instructors/Participants
Saturday and Sunday
8:45am - 9:30am: Classroom
9:30am – Noon: On-snow training
12:15pm – 1pm : Lunch – Hotel Madeline
1pm – 2pm: Classroom
2pm - 4:15pm: On-snow training
No classroom: Video analysis, free ski w/instructors, lunch on Mountain
5:30pm: Closing Reception
Meet the Directors
Dr. Kim Hewson
Orthopedic Surgeon, former Director of Sports Medicine at University of Arizona, Ski School Instructor and Staff Trainer
The nation’s first female ski school director, former Director of Telluride Ski School, Ski School Instructor and Staff Trainer
Fifty-four ski seasons experience in five different countries
Ski School Instructor and Staff Trainer
Colorado Ski Country - USA Instructor of the Year, 2010
43 years experience
FOR DETAILED INFORMATION:
Dr. Kim Hewson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-729-1313
Annie Savath at email@example.com or call 970-275-8795
Madeline Hotel and Residences
The Madeline Hotel is a 4-Diamond, 4-Star, full service hotel offering beautiful guestrooms as well as casual and formal dining, club gaming lounge, fitness center, spa, and outdoor pool with hot tubs. From spacious guestrooms and suites, Madeline Hotel and Residences offers Telluride accommodations that deliver the utmost in comfort, style and atmosphere. Every living space surrounds you in luxury with sophisticated decor and breathtaking views. When you’re staying slopeside, you’re at the center of it all.
To secure your reservations please call (877) 797-9806 and reference “Biomechanics Camp” for discounted rates.
The Peaks Resort & Spa
The Peaks Resort & Spa, located in Telluride’s Mountain Village offers luxury hotel and residential vacation accommodations. Enjoy world-class outdoor adventure, unparalleled views and amenities with a dedicated staff committed to providing genuine care for our guests.
Allow us to Elevate Your Experience in the San Juan Rocky Mountains with breathtaking scenery, mountain wildlife, and ski-in/ski-out access to Telluride Ski Resort. Enjoy the full experience of Telluride whether you are visiting to hike, bike, golf, fish, ski, festival, or relax in the spa.
To secure your reservations please call (855) 420-9027 and reference “Biomechanics Camp” for discounted rates.